Monday, June 17, 2013

birds...i hate them or - attacked on the run


The red-winged blackbird (or Agelaius phoeniceus) is evil. I'm fairly convinced that they have been put on earth to terrorize runners.

After seeing that tweet the other day (and getting confirmation that his 'crazy little birdy' was indeed a red-winged blackbird), I was feeling lucky that although I've had a few minor incidents with being chased by the little terrors, one had never actually made contact with me (unlike Jordan, who has been attacked numerous times). Well - I am now an attack victim and unfortunately, since I nowhere near as fast as Canada's fastest marathoner, I wasn't able to outrun the bird and the little bastard clawed the back of my head. According to Wikipedia, they aggressively defend their territory and have been known to "swoop" humans. I feel like there should be more than one sentence in the wiki entry about how jerky they are...

Birds: love them? Hate them? Been attacked by them on the run?

6 comments:

SUZ said...

Ah!!! You got attacked!!!! Seriously..they really are vicious birds.

SUZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

I have yet to be attacked by those darn birds - even though I do 90% of my runs along the river or canal

One day I am sure it will happen and I will probably cry

Leigh said...

I would have screamed if that happened to me! I haven't even had a close encounter with a bird while on a run like that

Cori @ Read.Write.Run.Mom said...

Living just outside of calgary - I can't even run most of the Outskirts of Langdon between May and August or I will get attacked by them. Nothing more terrifying on earth than looking over your shoulder to see those red flashes on their wings coming right at your head. I've never been scratched, but they have hit my head.

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

That's crazy! I don't think I've ever been attacked my a bird while running! That would definitely make me go faster!

We do have birds in our yard that we refer to as the "dive-bomb birds" since they will swoop down super close to you. I think they are swallows. I think they are trying to protect their nests though.