Wednesday, April 25, 2012

really? race week?

Well, I haven't had a drink since we got back from Boston, I've been trying to eat a little cleaner, and I'm doing my best to go to bed early. That must mean race week. Which seems weird because even though I've been prepping since mid-January, it doesn't quite feel like the end of a training cycle.

For the first time ever, I didn't have a training schedule. I didn't have my runs filled into a calendar, I didn't plug my times into a calculator to try to figure out what I should be running as tempo paces, I didn't use a training plan. I just ran 3 or 4 times a week, did some hills here and there, ran a lot of long runs,* and once the snow and ice cleared from the sidewalks, tried to run fast once a week.

It has been an interesting way to train for a race. Kind of nice not to stare at a training schedule and be confined by a set of numbers. Kind of scary not to rely on what other people say is a good way to train. But since I was really just hoping that this race would keep me motivated to run through the winter, I think my non-plan training plan has done its job.

I have no idea how this race will go. I feel like I'm in decent shape physically, but I have no idea how fast I can run or whether or not I'll be willing to suffer to run faster. Good thing there will be an Olympian there to do enough suffering for all of us. Oh - and apparently this race is the Canadian half-marathon championships. Hopefully that means there will be some good racing for Jordan to watch while waiting for me.

Should be an interesting Sunday morning.

*including an entire 13.1 miles on a treadmill. Yup - I did my pre-taper long run while watching episodes of Law and Order on a treadmill. Maybe I have more of an ability to suffer on the run than I thought.

7 comments:

Derek Hill said...

13.1 on a treadmill makes you a suffering badass! Good luck!

Heather said...

You'll do great and have fun!!

Caroline said...

I saw that *....13.1 on the machine I admire that. I dont know that I could do that. Hope you will have a great race Sunday!!

MelissaNibbles said...

I love that you did your own thing and didn't drive yourself crazy with a training plan. Good luck on Sunday!

MelissaNibbles said...

I forgot to mention in my comment above: To answer your question on my blog about the lotion, yes I was acne prone and have VERY oily skin. It does go on thick, but it absorbs well and it isn't greasy. Hope that helps!

Rebecca said...

Good luck!!!

Kirst said...

Good luck Kristen! We'll be cheering you on from here! I know you'll do awesome!