Thursday, March 01, 2012

three things thursday - the "it's march" edition

Thing one: After not getting real winter weather almost all winter, two big snow storms in two weeks. Argh. Earlier in the winter it was rain (which meant icy sidewalks all the time) and now that I want spring to be here, the snow comes. Yeah- this item is just one big whine about the weather...what of it?

Thing two: I laughed out loud yesterday when I got the following notification in my email: 'Hal Johnson (@bodybreak) is now following you on Twitter.' Just in case you aren't Canadian, there was a series of public service type commercials on TV when I was growing up called "BodyBreak" starring Hal Johnson and Joanne MacLeod. They were sponsored by a group called ParticipACTION and would give various nutritional and physical fitness tips all while encouraging us to "keep fit and have fun." I kind of thought "well...if Hal Johnson is on twitter, maybe it is time to move on."
(from the Wikipedia page)
Strangely enough, when I clicked through to see his twitter page, it didn't appear that he was following me. So I decided to follow him to see what would happen and got one of those "Hey, thanks for the follow" direct messages as soon as I did. Is he a secret tweet bot? Does Hal Johnson employ the "follow then unfollow" technique to gain followers in order to spread his Body Break propaganda?!?! And most importantly - does Joanne approve of this?

Thing three: The Angelina's Right Leg stuff cracks me up a bit. When a guy accepting an Oscar references the leg before the night is even over? You know the internet will be abuzz... So the right leg has a Twitter account, apparently has a tumblr (which I can't find at the moment), and has spawned "leg bombing." I wonder how many places the leg will show up...

Have a great Thursday - maybe do something to keep fit and have fun!

What public service announcements do you remember from childhood? (maybe a robot telling to you to be careful?) 

6 comments:

ASTAR said...

I can put my arm back on, you can't.

kristen said...

Thanks for stopping by ASTAR. I love your work...

Michelle said...

"Don't you put it in your mouth. Don't you stuff it in your face."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOeiLFeUsc

It's been in my head since it came up on Twitter last week. Also, pretty sure the work Twitter account is following Hal (or someone who RT'd him). I noticed the Participaction logo on one of the tweets that popped up the other day.

Rebecca said...

I remember the robot and of course Hal and Joanne. I saw them at Walmart once back in the day and it was exciting (!!!)

Laura said...

great..
now I have the Bodybreak jingle thing in my head.
Leg bomb...kills me.

Katie said...

At the end of GI Joe cartoons there would be something about not burning your house down or something. Then they'd say, "now you know, and knowing is half the battle. GI Joe the true American hero!" super silly...