Tuesday, February 21, 2012

sunny monday miles

This weekend was a long weekend for me. Not all provinces "celebrate" the family day holiday...in fact, Quebec doesn't recognize it. But since my workplace is technically in Ontario, I had a long weekend. We had some friends in town for the weekend so I pushed my long run to Monday in order to be a good host.

The bad thing about running on Monday was that my normal long run buddies got their miles on on Sunday.  (Which means I also missed out on coffee with them.) The bonus? I got to run some of my miles with my husband. He had a recovery run to get done and since my long run pace and his recovery pace are pretty close, I had company for 6 miles.

Before I left, I was feeling tired, low energy, and I was a little concerned about how it would go because I'd be running through what would normally be lunch time. But, I had to get the training run in so off I set.

As usual, my body was much more cooperative than my mind thought it would be. I felt sluggish all over for the first 15-20 minutes but once I had been running for about half an hour things loosened up and I started to have more fun. And started to actually enjoy running in the sun on a Monday.

Best part of the run:  I managed to run the last two miles at half-marathon pace. (hooray!)
Worst part of the run: For the first time ever, my calf seemed to be threatening to cramp near the end of my run. It was a really odd experience and I really hope it was just a one time thing.

And to make you laugh - here's a gem of a joke that comes courtesy of my 4 year old nephew:
Knock Knock!
Who's There?
Fox.
Fox Who?
Fox YOU!

3 comments:

Suz said...

You are becoming me...only feeling it after 30 mins!!! We definitively missed you on Sunday...

kristen said...

I made that comment to Jordan as I was starting to feel better. I said "ug...I seem to have Suz-syndrome..."

Laura said...

Could the calf cramps have been from lack of electrolytes?
I love having a stat holiday in Feb...we need MORE of them.