Wednesday, November 09, 2011

more proof that I run hot

I'm not sure why, but I "run" hotter than most people I know. When others around me need gloves, I don't. When I drink a litre of water in the heat, they don't even need water. When I wilt in the heat, others just find it hot. It is just the way it is. When they reach for the toques (those are winter hats for those of you who don't speak Canadian), I'm just fine.

When I ran the Oka race, I was in capri pants, a long sleeved shirt and gloves and the people around me were wearing jackets, vests, scarves, hats, and tights. I took one look at them and almost put on another layer but remembered that I run hotter than most and although I was pretty chilly for the first kilometre or so, once I got going, I was really happy with what I was wearing.

I managed to get photographic proof of how much hotter I am than everyone else. I was in Ottawa for work for a couple of days and got to meet up with my friend Janelle for a run. It had been an absolutely beautiful day and I was really excited to feel like I could run in short sleeves and shorts (long shorts) on November 7th.
excited to be out running on a warm evening in November
When I showed up, Janelle was wearing layers. Lots of layers. Long sleeves, a vest, pants, gloves...the works.
lots of layers
I kind of felt like we had dressed for two completely different seasons and all I could really think was "yup, that sounds about right."

Hope Wednesday treats you well. And hey- Wednesday means WINE wednesday. Celebrate it if you can.

What about you- do you run hot? Run cold? Are you an over-dresser? 

8 comments:

Rebecca W said...

I'm like you, I run hot. For the Winterman 5K last year, I was in two layers: long johns and then fleece with a windbreaker jacket. I ended up opening every little vent I could find and unzipping my jacket. I was way too hot. The first KM was chilly, but then I just got hot.

For Ottawa Run Weekend I wore a cotton shirt (as I was running with 50 odd students) and I died at the 2K mark. Ended up having to walk a majority of the race as I over-heated bad (and I was about 12w pregnant at the time...so overheating bad!).

It was really nice a couple of days ago, so I wouldn't have been in as many layers as your friend. Probably just capri pants and a long sleeved tech shirt for me (if I could run....*sigh*).

Did you go to Bridgeheads ;)

Suz said...

Did you write this for me?! LOL!
I am a COLD runner, but you would have been proud I was out in a tee shirt and Capri pants yesterday for my lunch run :)

Laura said...

I sweat... A LOT. I used to overdress but am now much better at 'under dressing'. I think it is b/c I am such a worrier/planner that I want to ensure I don't screw up the one think I have control over...

Stephanie said...

I run cold. Sooo cold. My hands are the worst. I am sitting at my desk at work right now and I wish I was wearing gloves!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I definitely run cold - I always need an extra layer when everyone else is fine!

Kelsey said...

After moving to Van, I am still figuring out what to wear when I run. What I am finding is that I always need less than I think I need which means sucking it up on those chilly mornings so I don't overheat by the time I get to 5km. My biggest struggle is gloves, I get cold hands but then after when I take them off I don't know where to put them (bulging pockets are so unflattering and awkward) ;)!

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

That's hilarious!! I would say I run about normal! I dislike being overdressed but there have been a few times that I wished I had more layers (mostly on -30C days). I find if I have a headband and gloves on, I need less on the rest of my body.

Leana said...

I prefer to underdress on runs until the snow starts flying. I find that as long as there isn't snow on the ground I'm generally fairly underdressed compared to some of the runners on the paths. In fact, I was worried seeing how bundled up everyone was at Winterstart and I was going with a lightweight long sleeve and a jacket. As soon as the snow flies though - better bundle up!