Tuesday, May 03, 2011

to my grandfather

Sunday morning my phone rang too early for it to be a social call- especially because it was my dad, who lives two time zones "earlier" than me. He told me that my grandfather had died. He wasn't sick but he was 85. I think my dad was in shock. As I've been processing the news and finding it weird that not only did the Governor release a statement, but that there was an entire story about him in the paper this morning, I've also been thinking about him.

I'm the dork in the glasses ;-)
He loved the Red Sox and could talk your ear off about almost anything. No matter where we went, he always seemed to know somebody. He had stories about wars, about politicians, about getting himself into some serious binds, and most importantly for this Sound of Music loving girl- he had stories about the Von Trapps (for real!).

He (and my aunt) took my sister and me to our first major league baseball game and many many years later, my sister returned the favour and took him to one of his last games- last June. His laughter was distinctive and infectious.
we're all laughing so hard because he was laughing...
Apparently he did things like bring business to Vermont and prevent billboards from being allowed in the state. He was known as a key player in economic development and apparently the taxpayers loved him.  But I knew him as the person who is responsible for the "family pour" that causes those of us with weaker constitutions to ask for a little more tonic to go with our gin, who called my sister "Old Tough Feet" and who taught me it is pronounced "Bah Habah" not "Bar Harbour." While he was definitely a man of his era, I think near the end of his life, he adapted to this one quite well.
September 2010
"They" may have called him Mr. Vermont, but I called him Grampy.

9 comments:

Lulu said...

He sounds like an amazing man, I am so glad you have such happy memories of him.

Samantha Angela said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. It's always very tough to lose a family member.
You have your memories of him and it sounds like he was a great person and a great contributor to Vermont.

Marlene said...

I'm so sorry about Grampy. :(

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa but glad you have such wonderful memories of a wonderful man!!!
Char J

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. Sounds like he lived a pretty amazing life and had a very loving family.

kristen said...

Everybody needs a grandpa like that! How could you not love a man like that. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I see his memory will have no problme living on.

Totally unrelated, I was on bah habah this summer. Loved it.

Toronto Girl West said...

It seems like your grandpa was a wonderful man that touched many people. Surely, that's a testament of a life well-lived!

But the bottom line is this - I'm so very sorry for your loss. :o(

Leana said...

I'm so sorry for your loss K. Big hugs to you and your sister. :(

jnelle said...

Beautiful tribute, Kristen. Much love to all your family, my thoughts are with you all. He sounds like one heck of a gentleman