Wednesday, January 24, 2007

shoes (aka these boots were made for walking)

If I forget my book, riding the bus gives me ample opportunity to blatantly stare at other people. If I'm not listening to their conversations (whilst trying not to stare at them directly right Heather?), I check out what they are wearing and I like to think about what kind of person they might be.

Today there were no interesting conversations within earshot, so my thoughts and my eyes wandered to the shoes. There were all sorts of shoes and most were appropriate for the weather. There were new shiny black boots with heels, new looking uggs (maybe fuggs, I didn't see the label...regardless though, they make much more sense in the middle of an Ottawa winter than they do in LA), salt damaged brown boots (those were mine)...then I noticed a pair of pink, strappy ballet flats. Not at all sensible for the day. Her feet were clearly wet and therefore cold. My eyes wandered upwards to see what kind of person would be wearing such non-sensible (though cute...and complimented with a pair of pink stripey socks) shoes. Much to my surprise, this person looked nothing like I thought she would. In fact, she looked more like a person who would wear sensible shoes. Maybe not a pair of giant sorels, but something at least weather appropriate.

This got me thinking. Do I want to be the kind of person who people look at and see "aah...wears sensible shoes"? In the middle of winter - you bet your aspercreme I do. Cold feet are not my friends. But for the most part, I would much rather be the one in the cool shoes. Not the really high heels, not the ones you know required a good chunk of the monthly income, but the pair that you look at and think "great shoes". Mmm....great shoes...must...resist going out and buying shoes...

And so, I leave you with what kind of fall shoes I should wear. It says I need class and edge. Not sure I am very edgy...but I can work on that.
You Should Wear Buckled Boots

Motorcycle chic meets uptown.
You have the class and edge to wear this boot.

8 comments:

liz said...

Oh no - there is a "girls-only blogthings?" I do not need yet another website where I can waste hours a day of my super-valuable time :)

And I am high heeled loafer kind of gal - which is completely what I would have expected - despite my secret desire to be a heeled buckle boot girl like yourself.

lu said...

i took the quiz and am a wedge girl which is entirely untrue. ok, well partially untrue. but i don't discriminate, i love all kinds of shoes!

Heather said...

I will take that quiz, but first I must comment.

You HAVE TO know what I'm thinking about as I read your post... Maybe the fact that you like your bedtimes early and your music quiet???

I think you should wear non-sensible shoes to counter-act your bedtimes and music tastes.

Heather said...

And my shoes according to the quiz? Some sassy animal print peep toe heels. Hell yes.

Kristen aka granny mc olderson said...

i'm pretty sure you meant "hells yeah" not hell yes...

and i have no comment about my bedtimes and music volume... at least i'm well rested and can hear.

Erin said...

I always thought you had cool sneakers in University. Do you not wear sneakers now? I got Mary Janes on my quiz, which I am currently wearing. Most other days it's sneakers for me - they match my un-ironed clothes nicely.

K said...

i still have some cool shoes, i just don't ever want to be the person that someone looks at and thinks "ahh...wears sensible shoes".
i'll have to try my best not to become that person.

fuzzy wuzzy said...

Nothing wrong with going to bed early - I wish I could achieve that somedays. Also loud music sucks when it's someone elses on a nice summer day and all you can hear is this loud base thumping from the car beside yuou, so loud that you can't hear your own radio- just venting a little there. I actually like to play my own music loud when I'm alone, and my children will probably say that it's because I'm deaf.