Monday, November 14, 2005

adventures of the car-less

This is really the first time since I was 17 (when I got my license) that I haven’t had access to a car. No, I have not had a car since I was 17, but I have always at least been able to use one to go to the store etc. so this has been an interesting experience so far.

Today was no different. I can’t stand only having one laundry basket with which to do laundry. I’ve been managing so far, but I find it a frustrating experience…especially considering I have to go up and down 4 flights of stairs in order to do laundry.

So…today I decided that before I did the 4 loads of laundry that need to be done, I would go to Zellers (remember…the smallest Zellers in the world) and get one.
Zellers isn’t THAT far away, but it’s not just around the corner. On the way, I walked by the Giant Tiger (my all Canadian family discount store) and thought “we do need a few things, and since it is pretty small, if I want to get stuff, I should probably go before Zellers so that I don’t have a big laundry basket with me when I’m in there." So I stocked up on some fantastic, some pseudo j-cloths, Honey Nut Cheerios for $2 and two bags of frozen un-cooked shrimp because it was only $3 a bag. I resisted the urge to buy 5 bags of shrimp because I knew I still had to get to Zellers and back.

On to Zellers…found the laundry basket as well as rubber gloves and a dinosaur treat for Jordan (and hooray for gift cards, it’s like it was all free). Then it came for the walk home. It was windy on the way there, but nothing prepared me for walking through downtown Ottawa with 3 bags of stuff and a laundry basket in the gale force winds that suddenly ripped through the city just as I was walking home. Laundry baskets really catch that wind…I actually feared for the people around me. I’m pretty sure people crossed to the other side of the street in order to avoid me…

It will be a bit of a treat when I go home for christmas and can go to the store without worrying about how much I can carry. Hopefully I remember how to drive ;-)

4 comments:

Hez said...

Why didn't you put your shrimp, j-cloths and 3 bags of stuff IN the laundry basket and then carry it home that way? Or did you, and it still didn't work...

K said...

I was too wide when I did that...

lu said...

i can absolutely appreciate this predicament, i have to either walk for an hour to town or take a bus and i only do it about once a week, which means ALL my shopping must be carry-able. really makes you think how many squares of toilet paper you REALLY need, doesn't it?

The Rev said...

When we first moved to Hamilton we were without a vehicle. It sucked. I bought a bus pass in order to get to work. Catching rides with other people sucked too. Yeah. Not having car sucks. Depends on where you are though. If you live in a place where the trasit/metro is great (i.e. Madrid) it's not so bad. Well, I guess for getting around it's great but not when you're trying to carry around large items and stuff. Riiiiiiiight.